Rookwood is a suburb in western Sydney, in the allow in of New South Wales, Australia located 14 kilometres west of the Sydney central thing district, in the local government area of the Cumberland Council.
Rookwood Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the Southern Hemisphere.
Rookwood was named from a title of an 1834 novel by William Harrison Ainsworth (1805–1882). A railway station called Haslam’s Creek was opened in this Place in 1859, on the railway stock from Sydney to Parramatta. Samuel Haslam owned various grants in opposition to the creek from 1804. Haslam’s Creek was the site of the first railway catastrophe in New South Wales in July 1858, which resulted in two deaths.
When the necropolis opened in 1867, it was known as Haslam’s Creek Cemetery. Residents disliked the connection with the burial sports ground and in 1876 the suburb was renamed Rookwood. The reveal of the railway station was changed to Rookwood in 1878; and, by the 1880s, shops were expected in the area. In 1891, the Municipality of Rookwood was incorporated (renamed Lidcombe in 1913).
Over time, the necropolis had become known as Rookwood Cemetery. By 1898, residents were again agitated about the association of their suburb in the same way as the cemetery; and, in 1914, the railway station and the residential allowance of the suburb became Lidcombe. Later, Rookwood railway station that served the Rookwood Cemetery was located in the midst of the bridge greater than Arthur street and the westernmost junction of the Flemington rail yard.
The Municipality of Lidcombe amalgamated behind Auburn from 1 January 1949.
Rookwood railway station was upon Sydney’s Main Suburban railway origin until its break in 1967. The Rookwood Cemetery Line serviced Rookwood Cemetery and originally ran from Mortuary railway station, on Regent Street close Central railway station but has back closed.
The Cemetery railway line opened on 22 October 1864. At the era of its start the origin went as far as Cemetery Station No. 1. On 26 May 1897 an augmentation of the origin to Cemetery Station No. 3 was opened. The elaboration required the removal of a waiting room on the rear wall of the Cemetery Station No. 1, so the extraction could pass right through the building. A truth extension, to Cemetery Station No. 4 opened on 19 June 1908. The lineage closed in 1948.